Sunday, October 6, 2013

Quentin Tarantino - Blood, Gore and Humour

If you have seen my tumblr you would know how big of a Quentin Tarantino fan I am. I don't know why, I cannot really explain it. There is just something about his movies that I love. Sure his movies are vulgar, gory and just downright ridiculous; maybe that is why I like him. The man has almost invented his own genre, actually he pretty much has his own genre. If someone asks you the genre, there's only one answer that makes sense, Tarantino?!

I've seen all of his movies except the Kill Bill series, and I have to say that he is just one of the best all time screenwriters and directors. His movies; however, are not for everyone. As long as you have an open mind and are willing to be downright insulted, then there isn't really a reason to not enjoy his films. They are by no means conventional, that is partly the reason they have been genre defining.
For example, they are so brutal and bloody it is actually humorous (no i'm not mentally ill), the blood often is over the top (i.e Django Unchained). There is also some traditional humour in the films.

Another reason I enjoy the films is well... how quotable they are. I could give a long list of quotes; however, I would rather not. So to prove my point i'll just put a link to a site with a long list of quotes.

Criticisms and my opinion
The fact that no matter how outrageous the films are , they still bring a crowd; that proves my point on
the genius of Tarantino. The filthily "spaghetti western" film Django, despite it's controversy and outrageous N-word count managed to bring an audience of 42% African-Americans (the guardian). The count i was able to get was 99, my friend counted 116 when we watched it last year. Yes I see what the issue could be here; however, that does not make it any less of an awesome film. The film is not meant to be racist, and is it any worse than some other films; with brutal rape and torture scenes. Some people just have to remember that it is entertainment. Just like this is not not meant to be an accurate representation of slavery, Inglorious Bastard's is not meant to be a historical holocaust depiction. I could assume that film as also had it's share of criticisms over anti-semitic depictions.

If I were to have one criticism is that some of his films are hard to follow, but it can be forgiven kind of well.

Overall

What else is to be said, he's just awesome and good at writing very quotable movies. Oh and some of the award's he's won or been nominated for, including two academy awards, two golden globes, two BAFTA awards, and the Palme d'Or. He's just hands down my favourite director (Peter Jackson being next on my list).



No comments:

Post a Comment